Saturday, October 27, 2007

Bleakness with some perspective

Kate and I have always been good at restraining our desires. We love to travel, but have an unwritten rule about flying to no more than one destination per month. We love to eat, but base our caloric intake on whatever commissary product DOESN’T have fuzz on it. And we love our evening couch time where we could easily spend hours watching our favorite downloaded shows, but we both have extra-occupational activities that severely limit our “chill” time (Kate has her master’s program and I TA an online MBA program).

We splurge by ordering diet cokes instead of water, by staying at hostels where we don’t share rooms with six other people, and by buying new clothes, which never, ever happens (here’s Pecos wearing the ripped sleeve of a work shirt that I actually wore to work with a hole in it).
This month has been particularly ascetic. We went out to eat one time (at Chili’s, believe it or not, on Ramstein Air Base). We haven’t flown anywhere (except for my work trip to Malta - see pictures below). And Kate has been incredibly busy with school work, especially considering the incident involving her thumb drive eating her 14-page paper and never pooping it out.
To add to the bleakness, the dollar continually sets news lows against the euro. The constant overcast skies Germany is infamous for haven’t mitigated the temperatures – which have sunk as dramatically as the exchange rate (both about 30 percent lower than last year at this time). And, because daylight hours at this latitude decrease quickly, it’s been difficult to get up and even more difficult to convince ourselves to go on runs in the afternoons. Together, those things make us poor, gloomy, tired, and fat.

OK – that’s the sad way of looking at it. On the bright side, Kate’s almost done with her semester; we’ve saved lots of money by not eating out as much; everyone is talking about how great and snowy this winter will be (as compared to last year’s warm and rainy winter); and this coming Thursday’s arrival of my mom, step-dad, brother, and sister-in-law means trips, food, shopping, and fun.

The darkness and coldness mean more couch time, more time enjoying the company of friends, more fun Pecos walks instead of long runs (the top picture is Pec fleeing after getting unleashed at the beginning of a walk; the one below is him jumping to catch a kicked mouthful of straw during that walk), and fewer events for me to manage at work (which, in turn, means more on-time arrivals at home).
Plus, I’ve devised a top-secret dollar-euro conversion plan of my own that I feel is the most brilliant idea my mind has come up with since creating the “to-do” list (which I actually thought I did when I was 14).

And, as I write this, I’m wearing a scarf for the first time all season, I’ve just booked a trip to stay in an ice igloo in Finland this February to see the Northern Lights, and we’re getting ready to go over to a friends to play board games (which, as a way to spend time, comes a close second to traveling).

Restraining desires is good. But enjoying each event, season, trip, purchase, and visit with perspective is probably a better way to look at life. Especially with my new top-secret conversion plan!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyable Justin! Did you really think you had invented the "to do" list?
I apologize for being delinquent at reading and responding to the blog. I will try to improve.
Is the trip to Finland for Kate's B'day?
Rudy and Jackson say Hi to Pecos and can't wait for him to come and visit. Jackson is definately top dog here even though he is only 1 year old. We will have to see how that goes with Pecos.Pecos was cute in the bow tie.

How was Malta and will there be an entry?
All for now.
Love DC MOM

Unknown said...

Hi DC MOM,

I was so proud of myself when I created the "to do" list. I even called it the "to do" list, which added even more to my embarrassment and my lack of knowledge of the world.

Rudy and Jackson will have to be OK with just pictures of Pecos for now, as there's no plans for a USA visit anytime soon. They'll be the first to know, though.

And as for Malta, I was only there for a couple hours unfortunately, and we didn't even go into town...just the port. It did remind me of the Greek Islands though.

Justin

Anonymous said...

Hey there you two (and Pecos!)--

I was playing around online this morning and thought to myself, "Gee, I wonder what Kate and Justin are up to; Mike and I haven't been so great at keeping up with them." (Sorry about that!) Anyway, my thoughts lead me to explore your blog and see what you crazy cats are up to nowadays. I hope you're still having a blast and really enjoying yourselves over there. We haven't yet made our promised trip over to Europe to spend time with you all, obviously :o( But such is life I suppose when you allow yourself to get too caught up with work! ...Ahh the demands of being a "grown-up"...funny, I don't really feel grown-up! :o) Anyway, we have been doing a little traveling here and there, nonetheless--around the US, and I tagged along with Mike on a business trip to Dubai in late August/early September (he's headed back again this upcoming week) ...Man, talk about hot! Yes it's a city in the middle of the desert, but I guess I just wasn't ready for that kind of intensity. Nonetheless it was a fabulous trip. And now we're thinking of maybe India or Africa for our next adventure--doing a Volunteers for Peace gig. We figure not only is it a cheap way to have a great cultural experience, but we also get to do a little good in the world at the same time. We're in the same boat as you all with trying to save a bit of $ here and there...again, the grown-up thing to do right now would be to put money toward a house, etc. :o)

Anyway, I'm happy that I did check in and see what's new in your life. We miss you two a ton and hope to get a chance to see you again soon. Mike said you might be back in the States near Christmastime? Keep us posted. Until then--lots of love to you both!

Amanda