Saturday, September 27, 2008

The last month: Constructing our own little nest

Ever take a course in college where you paid attention in class, took decent notes, studied a fair amount, and then got to the test and realized that it was asking you questions you weren’t prepared for? Questions that you could tell were similar to what you studied, but that really weren’t really covered well in the reading? And then you start sweating?

Well, that’s what I feel is about to happen to Kate and me. And Pecos.
And this dog too.
We’ve been living in a perpetual state of preparation for the past few weeks. We’ve read books and articles; watched youtube videos of births, breathing techniques, and diaper changing; and put so many pieces of Ikea furniture together I’m surprised there’s no trademarked logo outside our apartment.
And just when I think we’re as prepared as we’re going to get, I ask something EXTREMELY dumb, like, “Seriously. Does she really need this many diapers?” Or “What do you mean babies don’t need pillows?”

Well, thankfully we still have a month left to prepare. And we have a lot to do in that month.

We have three baby showers in the next two weeks. One of them is tonight, at Jay and Linda’s new house, here: We have to sell our car.

We have to rent a car for two weeks while we wait on the guy whose car we promised to buy to get HIS new car.

I have to stop pretending to be a cardboard robot.
We have to finish transitioning to our fall and winter clothing

We have to ensure we’ve turned our breech baby

We have to complete setting up the baby’s room, including sanding, painting, and constructing a few more items. Here’s what it looks like now, which isn’t bad. But is only 75 percent complete.
I have to go to Baltimore for a week for work.

We have to go to Ikea a few more times, just to ensure there’s nothing there we didn’t buy yet.

And I have to get rid of my rash. Don’t ask. Here’s me wearing 1001 patches of substances people are allergic to to determine if my rash is allergy-based. (It wasn’t).
Hopefully, just as we’re finishing up with the last of these items (probably the sanding, painting, and constructing part), we’ll be completely prepared for the test of a lifetime. Probably not, though. Cardboard robot no like study.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

J- Don't you ever stop pretending to be a cardboard robot, please.

C+A said...

This post made me laugh out loud! Too funny! Nice portrait of Pecos above the baby's crib. Also, why is there a gigantic thermos in the nursery? Baby likes coffee?

Josh Korr said...

I hope you have a tiny cardboard-robot costume all ready for the baby!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your rash is stress related. Stop worrying, babies are super self-sufficient.
-rachele

Anonymous said...

Delightful post and no you will never be ready, it will just happen and you will make it up as you go and it changes every day. I don't mean to scare you or imply that you will always be flying by the seat of you pants, but instead that it is such an awesomely huge life changing event, that you can never be prepared for it. But rest assured you, I believe, will do much better than most. And no you won't make the mistakes of your parents, because you have seen those, you will make your own mistakes, those you haven't seen yet. Sorry for being so philosophical, I will get off my soap box now.

Love to all, even that Yorkie.

DC MOM

Anonymous said...

Sounds exactly like what my mom would say! I miss you all,
Rachele

Unknown said...

To respond to all your delightful and very welcome comments:

1) No, I don't think I COULD ever stop being a robot. It's part of my robo-DNA.

2) Although the baby may like coffee someday, the thermos is for warm water to pump onto a washcloth before wiping. Kate's idea, not mine. Although I think it's brilliant.

3) The tiny robo-costume...easy. A tiny robo-diaper...much harder. Shorts the circuits. Remember the movie Short Circuit? What was our facination with robots in the 1980s anyway?

4) Come on Moskowitz...you're leading me to believe that our baby will come out with a job, pension plan, and a small subsistence farm. Sounds like you need to come over in a few months and teach our munchkin some tricks. Waddya say?

5) DC Mom, the vote of confidence is welcome. I hope I live up to my own expectations, which are to not screw up TOO bad and dress the baby in cardboard, let alone yours. I guess we'll see.

Anonymous said...

Do they make cardboard shoes?

;-)

L&J

Anonymous said...

Justin and Kate,

The nest looks great!
You'll be wonderful parents.
My advice- skip the cardboard diapers.
oma