Friday, May 02, 2008

Southern France: A croissant wrapped in a crepe inside a hunk of fromage

When I mentioned to Kate that I was going to write a blog this morning about our trip earlier this week to Southern France, the first thing she said was, "You damn near killed me on that trip."

Well, I have to admit, it was ambitious. We set out to see 21 cities in four days - and we saw 19.5 (the 0.5 was Nice, where we never made it downtown). The hardest part was, in all of them, you could have spent a weekend and still not feel satisfied that you really got a feel for them. I mean, it's the French Riveria....where almost every episode of "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" was filmed. And the weather was perfect every day.

But, instead of boring you all with an essay of insights about why I chose these places or how our hotel was or what kinds of things we did there, I'm just going to show one picture from each place, create a slogan for the town, and share the first word or phrase that comes to my mind and Kate's mind about them. That way, you can get a feel for what we saw/did/ate/felt and can ask questions if you'd like. So, here they are, in the order which we saw them:
Montpellier: It's a tourist spot, we swear
Justin: Overhyped
Kate: Sleepy
Nimes: Where everything is old
Justin: "Roman"tic (both that it was Roman and charming)
Kate: Nice market

Pont du Gard: It's a freaking acquaduct, people
Justin: I wish that was us in the canoe
Kate: I wish we had sandwiches

Avignon: Popes used to live here
Justin: Historic or Grand, I'm not sure which
Kate: Cute ducklings

Gordes: Located somewhere in France
Justin: Nestled
Kate: Beautiful (and Justin tried to get me hit by a car)
Arles: What happens in Arles stays in Arles (because nobody cares)
Justin: Which city was that again?
Kate: I had a tasty omelet
Justin: Yes, she did

Aix en Provence: Welcome to America
Justin: Touristy
Kate: Cute, but lots of American students

Marseille: The Miami of France
Justin: Dirty
Kate: I did not like it
Gassin: Close to St. Tropez
Justin: Rainy, bad ice cream, good views, done in five minutes, Kate peed in the woods
Kate: It was really small

St. Tropez: Beyonce waz here
Justin: I like Annapolis better
Kate: Ritzy
Mougins: Where artists come to die
Justin: I got confused
Kate: Just waking up
Cannes: Rhymes with flan
Justin: I'd go back in a second
Kate: More going on than I expected
Antibes: If only we didn't speak French
Justin: My favorite town on the trip
Kate: Packed with charm
Villefranche sur Mer: Heaven for rich people
Justin: Hard to find
Kate: I was really tired

Monte Carlo: We're just kidding about the jacket and tie thing
Justin: Bleh
Kate: A bit of a letdown

Menton: Sounds like a breathmint
Justin: McFlurries rock
Kate: Justin doesn't know how to share McFlurries

Eze: Where a single bottle of wine actually costs 1,590 euros ($2559)
Justin: Too much cheese in Eze
Kate: I really liked the cactus garden

St. Paul de Vence: Not enough crepe shops
Justin: Stunning views...of tourists
Kate: Much more touristy than I was expecting
Ste. Maries de la Mer: We have horses
Justin: Reminded me of Chincoteague
Kate: Bouilabaise in yo' face!

6 comments:

Antipasta said...

Love the pictures & captions.. south of France looked awesome.. :) Su-chun

Anonymous said...

Peanut says..."Give me some GOOD ice cream!"

Anonymous said...

What a great post!

C+A said...

This is one of my favorite blog posts ever! Cute jacket Kate!

Anonymous said...

I was just going to write a comment that Kate looks fantastic in that jacket, only to find that someone beat me to it! Great commentary.

Anonymous said...

That is a lot of towns!! How far apart were these towns? Of course I could get out a map and figure it out for myself and probably will. Were you on a coast road with beautiful views of the Med?

DC MOM