Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Nürnberg und Würzburg



A word-for-word transcript of Kate and Justin’s car conversation between Nürnberg und Wiesbaden (with a stop off at Würzburg):

Pecos: I’m cold.

Kate: Pecos, you’re not even in the car. You’re back in Wiesbaden, no doubt snuggling up with Linda…probably taking a nap on Egyptian cotton sheets.

Justin: Wow, you’ve lost it completely.

Kate: I guess I lost it this weekend in Nürnberg.

Justin: Yes, you did. But we had a good trip, at least. We got to see our hot German friend, Marc, and his girlfriend Julia.


Kate: So, do you spell her name Y-O-O-L-I-A? ‘Cause that’s how you pronounce it.

Justin: (Placating her) Yes, Kate. Exactly.

Kate: I’m glad we got to go to the Christmas market there – didn’t I read somewhere that it was the biggest in the world?



Justin: Maybe in one of your cheaply researched girly magazines like Domino or Reader’s Digest. It’s certainly huge, drawing over two million people each year. But it’s not the biggest. Probably one of the oldest, though.

Kate: There must have been two million people waiting in line to buy an overpriced Christmas trinket at that German Christmas store we went to - Käthe Wohlfarht, right. I think they were all Americans.

Justin: Yeah, I can’t believe you waited in line there! And what about those lines to buy lebkuchen and glühwein!



Kate: Oh man, weren’t they gooooooood.

Justin: Mmmm. You can’t deny how wunderbar the sweet, ginger-bready lebkuchen are; or how the hot, sweet, cinnamony wine warms you up in the cold.

Kate: Those cute little blue boots they serve the glühwein in are pretty cute too, huh? If only Pecos were small enough to fit inside one. That’d be the ultimate!

Justin: What? “The ultimate” what? (Under his breath): I think your glühwein was spiked.

Kate: Yeah, they’re huge collector items, you know.

Justin: What Pecos in a mug? Sure. … pause … Oh, no. You were being serious. … Uh, yes. Pecos in a mug – now only $5.99 at your local Petsmart!

Kate: ?

Justin: ??

Kate: Well, you know what I wish I could collect – the recipes from Marc’s work. That duck I had was really really good. Not to mention the red cabbage. I wish I worked in a cooking school.

Justin: Yeah working there has really paid off. That pumpkin soup and monkfish that Marc made us on Saturday night were really freaking great. (Drool begins to drip from Justin’s mouth). I wish I were Marc’s girlfriend.

Kate: Well, OK then. Let’s not go there.

Justin: Yeah, Marc’s so dreamy. I really like his choice of shoes.

Kate: Um.

Justin: Yeah, and I totally dug his apartment. I mean that futon we slept on was so nice. And that fabric.

Kate: …

Justin: (Takes his eyes of the road to think about Marc).

Kate: JUSTIN! Watch the road!

Justin: Oh. Ooops.

Kate: Hey look, there’s a sign for Würzburg.

Justin: Oh, I’ve always wanted to go there. Let’s stop by for a little bit and walk around. I hear it looks like Prague….

3 comments:

The Book Devotee said...

You two are for sure the cutest American couple in Germany standing by the river in your winter coats!!

Anonymous said...

Those Gold Heeled shoes are Teh Ghey.

Anonymous said...

i'm jealous of the genius who thought of sneakers with disco heels.
he's a millionaire somewhere :~(

swolfy
(btw, good luck cooking for yourself over the holidays..)