Monday, May 07, 2007

Two bruised thumbs

Funny. I didn't expect to be an engineer today.

This morning was just like many others. Wake up, shower, get dressed, and go to work to be a good public affairs guy. When I got home, I was searching around the net for a new digital camera, as ours has been to hell and back and has the wounds to show for it.
I'm sure some of you have noticed, but many of the pictures on our blog have little splotches all over them. Over the course of a year, little flecks of dust somehow worked their way into the inside of our camera (probably resultant from the two impacts the camera has made with asphalt) and had little fleck babies. Most recently, it got so outta hand that we've been too embarrassed to show the photos to anyone. Hence, the search for the new camera.



So, I had been searching for about two weeks now....from amazon to circuitcity.com to ebay. (I went further down the alphabet, too.) I even made two bids on ebay last week; both for the same model that we curently have....and both unsuccessful, obviously.


So today I started another ebay search. However, while searching I found this site which listed a way to clean our exact camera model
(http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1009&message=18038181). Intrigued by the thoughts of saving $200-$300 bucks, I gave it a shot and: voila. Two bruised thumbs and 1.5 hours later we have a clean camera. See?


Before:

After: And, yes, yes. I know this is not EXACTLY what engineers do....but come on. Let me have my moment, damnit!

3 comments:

Kate said...

Justin, you are my hero! You are much braver than I am.

Anonymous said...

I know those spots drove you nuts. Good Job!

Anonymous said...

Working with ones brain is nothing at which to sneeze, however working with ones hands and having visible proof of the effort is very rewarding. Congratulations.