Saturday, October 18, 2008

Babyness overload

The baby’s not here yet and already we’re overloaded with babyness.

We had three baby showers in two weeks (one was “virtual” for Kate). And while that was an awesome boon to our munchkin clothing inventory and we truly thank everyone who came and/or sent gifts, it was, admittedly, a little embarrassing for Kate and I … who never really like to be the center of attention or overdue our ooohs and aaahs to appease the crowd.
We now can dress a whole army of dolls in pinks and a whole army of garden gnomes in browns and imagine them fighting each other with multitudes of soft baby spoons and throwing nipple protectors at each other like ninja flying stars.

Or at least that’s what I TRY to imagine sometimes because, frankly, it gets my mind off the imminent arrival of our own little mini life complicator...who's in here, somewhere.
It’s not like I’m franticly trying to escape or think we’re so unprepared that we’ll fail. (Yes, mom, I know we’ll NEVER be prepared and we have NO idea what we’re getting into. Sure. Got it.) But it’s just been a lot of babyness lately. And, without an actual baby here, it just seems silly and excessive.

Once the baby gets here, yes, there will be much more baby talk. (Is that sound normal? What orifice did that come out of? Hey, come here and smell this.) But I expect that. And I’m excited for it. This whole preparation thing….what can I say? Dude needs a break.
Oh here's a fun but lamely narrated video of Kate "zipping up" her gut.

3 comments:

C+A said...

very impressive kate!

Anonymous said...

Love you guys.

Anonymous said...

Written after the arrival of the mini, dark eyed and dark haired complicator.

I like that, "your mini-life complicator". She will be more of a "MINI-MAXI" as you have just found out. I thought Justin had written this entry, and was half way through it before I realized you were the author. You are beginning to write like each other.

Anyway I know what you mean about all that "baby-stuff". When I took my precious 3-month old Edward to Peru and encountered children begging in the streets, I immediately came to the conclusions that my head had come unscrewed. I screwed it back on try to live thriftily. Remember you had to take the Metro.

I will keep checking for pictures of the mini complicator.