Thursday, October 30, 2008

Elizabeth's birth story . . . as told by Kate

All is well here in the Ward household. We are settling in nicely as a little family of four.
I like reading other people's birth stories, so I thought I'd share Elizabeth's with all of you while the memory is still fresh.

Also, here's a pic of my belly on the night we left for the hospital. I was 38 weeks and 3 days pregnant.
When thinking of her birth, I consider the journey to be composed of three parts.

1) The natural labor:

On October 19th, contractions started just as I was dozing off to sleep at eleven. After about two hours of contractions about eight minutes apart, I got out of bed to see if the contractions would go away or pick up. After a short time bouncing on the ball, I timed some contractions and was surprised to find they were between two and three minutes apart. I realized that I was really in labor, and that I should probably pack my bag for the hospital.

When I arrived at the hospital at about three in the morning, I was two centimeters dilated. I walked the halls for a couple of hours, swaying between contractions, and was five centimeters at my next check a few hours later. After a couple more hours of walking, I asked to have the tub prepared so I could use it for relaxation. The midwife checked me before I got in and found I was almost ten centimeters dilated. At this point, it was just before ten in the morning.

I labored in the tub for awhile and really enjoyed the ease with which I could switch between positions. I started pushing in the tub, but after awhile, and not showing much progress, the midwife told me to get out of the tub and try to push in some different positions. I continued trying to push until about twelve, but still was not having success getting the baby down.

Overall, I found this part of my labor experience to be pretty easy to handle. I really enjoyed moving around and never felt the pain was unbearable. I just listened to my body, and it did what it needed to do.

2) The uncomfortable part:

At about noon, my midwife told me to stop pushing. My contractions were still coming very frequently, and the urge to push was very strong, but I was instructed to take shallow breaths during contractions and not push.

This was probably the hardest thing I've ever done. I was really putting everything I could into not pushing, and it was exhausting to fight my body's need to push. But, try I did, and after about two hours of not pushing, numerous internal examinations, changing positions a few times, and an ultrasound, it was determined I was in need of a C-section.

Though my OB had previously said my daughter was in a great position, it seems she somehow turned her head 90 degrees and assumed a position that would not allow for a vaginal birth.

3) The C-section:

The forty-five minutes between hearing I was getting a C-section, and receiving the epidural were probably the most difficult. I was still having frequent contractions, and I was still instructed not to push, and knowing that all of that work was not going to bring the baby out just made me want relief.

The C-section itself was fine. The epidural brought immediate relief and I felt lucid for the first time in many hours. After some cutting and tugging, my daughter was born.

Overall, it was not how I imagined or hoped Elizabeth's birth would go. However, the end result of a healthy baby and healthy mom was achieved, so I'm okay with it. I was very impressed with how I handled the whole thing, and will certainly try for a natural birth again next time . . . not that that will be anytime soon.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

I think you're a champion. Three cheers for mom!!

C+A said...

Thanks for sharing that story! How brave you are! And, I must admit, I got a little tingle when I saw you say "my daughter" :) Wow. You are a Mom now. How neat.

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you and for everything you continually accomplish with ease and grace.
love
Rachele