Tuesday, January 30, 2007

An end of a weekend in Bavaria


Today Justin, Pecos, and I returned from a brief venture east into the Bavarian forest. Justin had some interviews to conduct for work in Grafenwöhr, Germany. Pecos and I decided to join him on his trip. We promised to behave very business-like and we're just not quite ready for another seperation, however brief it may be.


On Sunday, we drove down to Nuremberg to have dinner with Marc. We went out to a pizza place very close to Marc's apartment. The restuarant is renowned for it's huge servings, and the servings are huge. Justin and I ordered a salad and pizza to split between the two of us. We managed to finish both, but with considerable effort.



After saying goodbye to Marc and collecting Pecos from his apartment, we continued on to Weiden, the small town we were staying in. Though Justin recklessly disregarded the Mapquest directions I was reading to him, we found our way to Wieden and to our hotel. Our hotel room only had a single bed (I was a late addition to the trip), so Justin claimed the floor and Pecos the bed. Neither of them wanted to share their sleeping space with me.


Monday morning, I drove Justin to Grafenwöhr so he could do his work stuff. Grafenwöhr is a small town in Bavaria surrounded by forests and hills. The US military uses Grafenwöhr as a training facility. The base can be compared to Fort Hood, Texas (one of our former homes) in that it is in the middle of nowhere, with nothing going on, but plenty of space to drive tanks around.

Pecos and I spent the day exploring the base and then hiking in the snowy forest. We had a good time, though I was afraid we were going to be attacked by wolves. I don't even know if there are still wolves in Germany, but I think they would be where we were hiking. Fortunately, we survived largely unscathed (I pulled something in my back due to the combination of 20 pound snow boots and uneven footing. It's inhibiting my ability to clean the apartment. Shucks!). Overall, it was a beautiful hike and it only would have been better if Justin had been with us.



After our hike, Pecos was pooped. I made a "Pecos sandwich" on the hotel bed and he slept in the folded blanket for about six hours before bothering to get up. While he slept, I went and picked up Justin from Grafenwöhr. We went to the gym together (not a good idea with a hurt back), Justin slammed his finger in the car door, and we picked up some dinner at a Turkish restaurant. We then settled into our hotel room for the evening to eat the massive amount of food we ordered, watch King Kong (ridiculous movie), and then eat some more.
This morning, we woke up early and drove back to Wiesbaden. Justin was at work by eleven, and Pecos was snuggled in his dog bed by eleven-ten. What a life!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad the wolves did not get you and Pecos. Is this Brother Grimm terrority? Justin looks most comfy with his gold blanket and pillow and how selfish of Pecos not to share the bed.

Bavaria must have been beautiful in the snow.