Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Comings, Goings, and Bosnians

As I still haven't packed and my flight is less than 11 hours away, I'll be short. Or wait...maybe this guy will be short.

He's actually a general in the U.S. Army (my boss's boss's .... boss) and you may be able to tell how awkward I am around him by my lack of awareness about what to do with my hands (do I rest one on his lower back? Do I put the other one in my pocket?).

This was taken at my work's holiday ball - a place where people got gussied up and watched me dance like this. (This picture was actually posted on our work shared drive for all to see).

It was held at our local castle, the Biebrich Schloss, and only could have been better if my date was my wife. Or perhaps that woman who works on the 6th floor....

Work also brought me to Sarajevo this week. Although it was only for two days, I was able to make it out to the old bazaar part of the city during daylight where a colleague, Doug, took this shot in front of this kiosk (which is sort of a symbol of the city). Apparently I have no shoulders.

Aside from the very noticable bullet holes still in almost every wall, the occasional bombed out shell of a building, or a large hole left from an exploded mortar round, the city was great. It actually had a very Turkish feel. Here's me drinking "Bosnian" coffee (which is exactly like Turkish coffee except in the way it's served).

And here's Doug eating some baklava.

And now off to bed before a big day of flying the friendly skies.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I think some food shot out of my mouth when I saw that picture of you dancing. I actually skip the holiday ball every year to protect my dignity . . . I don't want people to think I'm a bad dancer by association.

I can't wait to see you tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Funny!!! A really great post and don't be so hard on yourself remember you were(are) the tall one. True, your awkwardness with the general is palpable. He should have been going for the small of your back and you, being the taller, should have gone a hug around his shoulders.

As far as the dancing goes, its from the back, you can deny it is you. And at least you hands are not above your shoulders.

And I guess I can get you shoulder pads for Christmas. I have lots left over from the 80's.

Now back to work.