Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Trans-Atlantic Christmas

Justin and I have returned from our venture to the States and have reunited with Pecos once again. We landed yesterday (Christmas) and have had one semi-successful night of sleep. It is now eight in the morning, and I am waiting for the light of day to arrive so I can take Pecos out for some exercise . . . perhaps it will be light by nine. Ugh!

Justin and I had an extended and wonderful, Christmas and we were very fortunate to spend time with many family members.

Christmas I:
Justin and I spent last week with Bill and Barbara down in Southern Maryland. Our time with them culminated in a pre-Christmas dinner involving of 20 of their nearest and dearest. Santa (played as Justin) visited the dinner and taught everyone about Santa's true origin in Turkey.

Christmas II:

We spent last weekend with my parents on an accelerated-Christmas schedule. This means Christmas Eve was celebrated on the 23rd and Christmas day on the 24th.

Justin helped me maintain the family tradition of decorating the tree and staying up way too late on Christmas eve. On Christmas morning, we exchanged presents and enjoyed Christmas breakfast before Barbara and Bill arrived bringing more holiday cheer with them. One abbreviated Pictionary game (Edward and Barbara were the most-skilled team) and a tasty dinner later, Justin and I had to stuff our goods into twice the amount of suitcases we arrived with and bid farewell to our loved ones.
Christmas III (though I don't think this counts as Christmas):
We boarded our plane around nine on Christmas Eve. The plane passed Santa on his way back from Europe and on our way to Germany. Justin and I exchanged gifts on the plane, but I think we were both happiest with the gift of sleep as we spent most of the flight with our eyes closed.
We arrived in Germany and were greeted by Pecos and Jay, bearing gifts of licks and hugs, and a beautiful winter-landscape outside.
Christmas IV:
Jay dropped Pec, Justin, and I off at home so we could unpack and complete a few Christmas traditions of our own (can you tell I love this holiday). We exchanged ornaments and stockings, and Pecos received a backpack so he can start carrying his weight in 2008. Before collapsing in exhaustion, we managed to get ourselves out the door and onto . . .
Christmas V:
Jay and Linda hosted an excellent Christmas dinner last night complete with lots of beef, lots of fun, a few instances of me almost falling asleep mid-conversation, and a super cute vet-toy for Pecos. It was a wonderful evening.
After a few hours of revelry, Justin and I returned home ready to collapse into bed.
In all, our time in the States was wonderful. It was great to see so many friends and to spend so much time with our families. Thank you all for being so flexible and understanding of our jam-packed schedule. Also, all of you who talked about when you're coming to visit . . . we remember those conversations and will continue to bug you until you show up.
I hope you all had wonderful Christmases.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What’s up..???

No mention of my Christmas Cookie caper?

Anonymous said...

And a wonderful Christmas it was despite all my hum-bugging. It was great to see the two of you and to have time together.

Jackson says the Christmas cookies were nothing compared to the gallon and 1/2 of broth and the Christmas turkey carcass. YUMMMM!!